Welcome to the first installment of ATA Trivia Tuesday! These posts will feature questions about the history and some facts of the ATA and taekwondo. Be prepared because we may ask some of the trivia questions in class! The answers will be posted to our FaceBook page and the original blog post on Fridays. Got it? Good, here we go!
- What does “ATA” stand for? A: American Taekwondo Association
- In the martial art style of karate, the uniform is called a Gi (pronounced gee). What is the uniform called in taekwondo? A: Dobok
- Dojo is the Japanese word for a karate studio. What is the foreign word for a taekwondo studio? A: Dojang
- The flag of an Asian country is incorporated on the design of the ATA patch on your uniform. Name the country. A: South Korea
- Your belt should be tied using a SQUARE knot.
- What are the 2 reasons the sides of your belt should be even after tied? A: To represent a balance between mind and body and for a tidy appearance.
- Which Power Ranger (color) is a member of the ATA? In Power Rangers: Lightspeed Rescue, Mike Chat starred as the Blue Power Ranger. He also developed ATA’s XMA program, trained Jaden Smith (Karate Kid), Taylor Lautner (Twilight Saga), and Noah Ringer (The Last Air Bender), to name a few. Noah Ringer is also a member of the ATA!
Tune in next Tuesday for more ATA Trivia!